1 large butternut squash or small pumpkin
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 chopped onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
5 cups water, or chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the squash or pumpkin in half and take out the seeds. Brush the squash or pumpkin with olive oil.
3. Place the squash or pumpkin on a cookie sheet and bake for about 25 minutes until soft. Instead of using an oven, you could bake the squash or pumpkin in a microwave until soft (about 10-12 minutes).
4. Sauté chopped onions and garlic in a large pan with olive oil.
5. Scoop the squash out of its skin and add to the pan. Add 5 cups of water or stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. When cool, put the soup in a blender until smooth. Optional: Top with oregano as a garnish.