By Kellie Gasink
A debate is a discussion of different viewpoints on a particular subject. To have a debate at your school you might:
• Tell your teacher you’d like to arrange a student debate. Ask him or her for assistance to make the arrangements.
• Find out if there are any student groups at your school that can help with the debate.
• Select a debate topic. Pass out reading assignments so that participants can prepare.
• Let students choose which debate team they want to be on. There can be more than two teams.
• Decide on a number of minutes for each student to speak and respond.
• Make announcements, such as over the loud speaker or on a written flyer, so that all students know the date, time and place of the debate.
• Have an adult facilitate the debate. Each student can speak on the topic and other students may pose questions.
Send in a report about your debate to IndyKids! Write to firstname.lastname@example.org