By GREGORY LING
1. I was born in Cairo, Georgia, on January 31, 1919, into a family of sharecroppers (small farmers who give a share of crops to the landowner as rent).
2. In 1947 I became the first African American to play Major League Baseball since 1889 when baseball became segregated. I played for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
3. In my first season with the Dodgers, I was named National League Rookie of the Year and led the league in stolen bases. I led the Dodgers to six World Series and one World Series Championship.
4. I was a spokesperson and a director of the NAACP (The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) from 1957 to 1967.
5. I was inducted to baseball’s Hall of Fame in 1962.
Answer: Jackie Robinson
Gregory Ling, 13, is from West Windsor, NJ
2 thoughts on “Who Am I?”
Thanks for writing this great article.. it gives me a lot of insight on the subject. I’ve added this page to my favorites for further reference. xxx
Good article! We are linking to this great post on our site. Keep up the good writing.