By KAILA DUNN, age 12
Name: Roan Vanja Molenkamp
Lives in: The Hague, Netherlands
Languages Spoken: Dutch (and a little bit of French and English at school)
Favorite Food: Hamburgers
Hobbies: Going outside and playing sports (football or soccer) or going on the computer
Place you would most love to visit: New York City
Favorite Animal: Cheetah
Favorite School Subject: Gym/sports
How he gets to school: By bike or scooter
Favorite Movie: Star Wars
The Netherlands at a Glance
IMAGE: Wikimedia Commons
Official country name: The Netherlands
Population: 16,318,199 (2014)
- Dutch people are the tallest in the world (average height of 72.4 inches for men and 67 inches for women).
- The Dutch East India Company, founded in 1602, controlled trade across many port cities around the world. Its influence led the Dutch to colonize present-day Indonesia and South Africa.
- There are three times as many bicycles as there are cars in the Netherlands.
- The Netherlands is the largest exporter of cheese in the world, with a dairy industry turning over around € 7 billion.
- The Netherlands has the highest population density in Europe.