By AUDREN HEDGES DUROY, age 9
Name: Jithendra Sreejith
Lives in: Chennai, Tamil Nadu in Southern India
Siblings: One brother
Languages Spoken: Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi, English
Favorite Food: Paneer butter masala
Favorite Activities: Drawing, painting and reading
Place He would Most Love to Visit: New York City
Favorite School Subject: Science
What He Wants to Be When He Grows Up?: A pilot
Favorite Holiday: Diwali, a five-day festival celebrating light over darkness
India at a Glance
Official Country Name: Republic of India
Population: 1,251,695,584 people (estimated July 2015 CIA World Factbook)
Official Languages: Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Oriya, Punjabi, Assamesse, Maithili, Nepali, Odia, English and more
Religions: Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism, Christianity, Buddhism, Jainism
- India is the second most populated country on Earth.
- The game of chess was invented in India.
- Algebra, trigonometry, calculus and the numeric decimal place system were all invented in India.
- Yoga and martial arts both originated in India.
- Varanasi, India is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world.