By Kid Reporter KYLIE FREYMAN, age 9
All around the world, honeybees have been mysteriously disappearing from their hives. They leave and they just don’t come back. Honeybees are extremely important. For instance, honeybees allow us to have nice, healthy and delicious honey. And bees pollinate flowers, which turn into fruit. Scientists now think that a combination of parasites (small animals that live on the bees) and pesticides weakens the bees.
HOW YOU CAN HELP SAVE BEES?
So how can people help with this big problem? We can start eating natural organic food, use less pesticides on gardens and lawns, and plant flowers that provide healthy food for bees.
SUMMER RECIPE: RAW HONEY APPLES
1 organic apple
2 ounces raw buckwheat honey
2 cups crumbled walnuts
1. On one side of the apple, spread honey with butter knife
2. Dip this side of the apple into bowl of crumbled walnuts and evenly coat
3. Place apple with honey-nut side up on a plate and put in freezer for two minutes
4. Once honey is set (not dripping), remove apple from freezer and repeat steps 1-2 to coat the other side of apple in honey and walnuts.
5. Leave plate in refrigerator or freezer until other side has hardened, and enjoy!
DID YOU KNOW?
Raw Honey Has…
Zero grams total fat and no sodium! Raw honey can help soothe sore throats and tastes really good with tea.