Write for IndyKids
IndyKids is produced by kids, for kids, and we welcome new writers, story ideas and article submissions from kids worldwide!
IndyKids welcomes the following submissions from kids ages 9-16:
- News articles on current events and social justice issues (200-250 words). Articles should read like news articles you would see in any major newspaper and focus on reporting on issues, events and facts. IndyKids particularly welcomes articles with perspectives and subjects not often seen in the mainstream media.
- News or science brief (50-75 words)
- Letters to the Editor
- Bilingual essays (First person essays in a language other than English on any topic. We will print this with an English translation) (100-250 words)
- Book and movie reviews (200-250 words)
- Features on kid activism (200-250 words)
- Child profiles from around the world
- Kids’ opinions on a particular issue of importance to them (One-sentence quotes from 4 to 7 kids, with individual or a group picture. Please contact IndyKids and we may be able to visit your classroom to interview students on a topic of their interest.)
- Activity, craft project or recipes
- Puzzles or games
- Graphics, illustrations and photographs
*Please note – IndyKids does not publish fiction.
Articles, essays, and letters should be aimed at kids ages 9 to 13.
Our Editing Process:
We believe that revision is important for all writers. When we receive your article, essay, or letter, we will read it carefully and our editorial board may contact you with suggestions for revisions. We are committed to working with you to realize your best work!